On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 19:15, Gary Schnabl <gschn...@swdetroit.com> wrote:
>> It may be a nice-to-have feature, but due to cost and OS restrictions,
>> it will probably remain a nice-to-have.
>>

> It costs the users absolutely NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING, as long as any
> version of Adobe Reader that was released within the past several years is
> used for reading the Acrobat-enabled PDFs.

Gary, I wasn't referring to users needing the software to read the
PDF.  I am fully aware that it's for producing the PDFs, not reading.
I've been using PDF readers and PDF generation tools for more years
than I'd like to admit :-P

> All that is required is just ONE LO PERSON with Adobe Acrobat Professional
> to convert any PDF, a task that takes merely a few seconds per PDF. BTW,
> this Adobe functionality is not really new, as it has been around for a
> number of years already.

OK, who gets to cough up $450 for a license?  i know I certainly
cannot (I'd have a double whammy of the Acrobat license plus a Windows
license), and I would not presume to request any member of the team to
do so.  If you personally have a license, then that's fine.. what
happens if you decide you're not working on LO docs anymore due to
other obligations? Or you're busy with your business clients during
one publish cycle and can't take care of that final production step?

My point was simple... the doc team needs to carefully consider any
process tools or other suggestions that will cost money.  Are they
necessary? Is the gain something in demand from the audience or a neat
feature that 6 people might use?  Does the team gain enough to justify
the cost?  Does this take into account the team members using Linux?

C.