On Sun, 2012-03-11 at 22:15 +0000, Mark Stanton wrote:
> > I think it might be fastest for Hazel to complete it.
>
> Too late!  Update in the drafts folder just now.
> Mostly content, since Hazel's proof reading is great.
>
> Since a lot of it is about the content, there are many "notes" rather than
> changes of
> text.
>
> It's really important to make the distinction between a DBMS (that's a
> program that
> manages a database), and the data that we put into a database that we've built
> using a DBMS.
>
> I also think that's it's REALLY important to make it clear that HSQLDB is not
> THE
> Base DBMS, just the default setting.  There is no "Base DBMS", it can use
> many
> different engines.  And, sticking my neck out even further, I'd say it'd be
> good
> to play down the built in version of HSQLDB, or at least not play it up.
> Since it's
> limitations have upset even one of our most famous "Base" names, Mr Pitonyak,
> I think
> it would be good to play up the ability to use (almost) whatever DMBS you
> want rather
> than giving the impression that HSQLDB is "it".
>
> Ok, steady.. Aim... Fire!
>
> Regards
> Mark Stanton
> One small step for mankind...

Fire one! [;-) ]
     The one thing that has always confused me: What is Base? What
should be put as the answer to this question? Just how much information
do people need to know? How do we tell them that Base may not be the
program for them? [Personally, I would prefer to stay away from all the
technical such as DBMS or RDBMS. What matters is what should a person do
to use Base for the tasks that they have [if Base can do them].(IMO, of
course)
     I have not downloaded what you have done yet, but I have a feeling
that I will have many questions for you for a while when I have a chance
to look over what you have done.
     This definitely going to be a learning experience on my part, and I
look forward to that.