Archie Ferrier wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I hope someone can help me with a problem that has just reared its ugly
> head. When I booted up my Linux box, running Fedora 10, the other day it
>   just displayed the word GRUB over and over. I have booted it with the
> Fedora 10 disc and I can run grub from the command line but I am at a
> loss as to what to do next. That is other than re-installing Fedora and
> losing all my data.
>
> I would be grateful for any assistance.
>
> Regards
>
> Archie Ferrier

The correct way to re-write the MBR and GRUB on Fedora is to use the
rescue mode.

Insert the fedora install CD/DVD and reboot.
When you see the boot prompt, type

linux rescue

(if the GUI appears, hit Escape to get back to the boot prompt)

Follow the instructions and accept the defaults.

If it finds your Fedora parrtitons it will mount them

It then drops in to a shell, type

df -kh

You should see /mnt/sysimage

chroot /mnt/sysimage

fdisk -l

If disk is hda or hdb etc use

grub-install /dev/hda  (or whatever it lists, e.g. /dev/hdb)

If disk is sd then use

grub-install /dev/sda (or whatever it lists, e.g. /dev/sdb)

Reboot and remove the CD/DVD

This is a more verbose way
http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/index.php?/archives/158-System-Recovery-Week-Rescue-Mode-and-Reinstalling-Grub.html