Terry Coles wrote:
> I decided that a new (more) 'soopa-doopa' graphics card would be in order to
> replace my low-end nVidia card.  Naively perhaps, I thought that (K)Ubuntu's
> hardware detection would deal with the change.  It didn't.
>
> The new card is an ATI X1650 Pro and is clearly working because the startup
> screens all work.  However, when KDM is started it doesn't.  I can get into a
> virtual console so something is working on the graphics side, but I can't get
> into the desktop.
>
> I had a look in xorg.conf and it is still set to the nVidia driver, hence the
> lack of life.  See below:
>
> Section "Device"
>       Identifier      "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
>       Boardname       "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
>       Busid           "PCI:1:0:0"
>       Driver          "nvidia"
>       Screen  0
>       Vendorname      "NVIDIA"
> EndSection
>
> Obviously, I could hack xorg.conf but is there a 'proper' way?  Should
> hardware detection have worked?  Ideally, I'd like the system to
> automatically
> generate the new xorg.conf file since Kubuntu has always done a good job
> before.  If not, where can I find out the proper settings for xorg.conf?  Is
> it sufficient to just change the Driver name and fix the rest later?  If not,
> how much do I need to change?

Hi Terry,

Has Kubuntu got the equivalent of System > Administration > Hardware
Drivers? I would imagine so as it has been a feature of Ubuntu for a
little while now.

If so, you should be able to hack the xorg.conf file to use the vesa or
ati driver, then use the Hardware Drivers dialogue to select the correct
drivers for your new card.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.

--
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/  irc://irc.blitzed.org:6667/dorset