2009/7/23 Simon O'Riordan <voluntar...@btopenworld.com>:
> I think the ideal programme would scan the hard drive and count
> instances of all the filenames it found.
> Any instance count greater than 1 would generate a log entry in a text file.
> You could just leave it running in the background; perhaps it could pop
> up a message when finished.
>
> Andrew Montgomery-Hurrell wrote:
>> Would help if I posted the link:
>> http://darkliquid.co.uk/2009/07/10/a-quick-script-i-wrote-to-replace-duplicate-files-with-symlinks/

>>> My thoughts were to do an 'Ls -something' piped into a file, then >
>>>
>> perhaps if I could do a sort ...

>> files called `foo' togeth...
>>
>> -- Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-08-05 20:00 Dorset LUG:
>> http://dorset.lug.org.uk/ Ch...
>>
> --
> Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-08-05 20:00
> Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/
> Chat: http://www.mibbit.com/?server=irc.blitzed.org&channel=%23dorset

You could try fdupes - i used it to clear up all my duplicate music.
It does it on MD5 hashs, so it takes a while to build a full list.
However, it does have a nice interactive mode (non-interactive spews a
list of duplicates and doesnt do anything else) so you can go through
and delete as you go.

~Dan