On Saturday 24 October 2009 12:58:36 Kevin Giles wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Re:
> > 'm assuming you'/ve already written the part of the samba config file
> > that allows specific directories to be shared on a windows share.
> > If you haven't, I'll dig out my config and send it over.
>
> I assume so but being a 'GUI' person I couldn't say for certain what files
> were actually written to. My previous attempts were made using the tools in
> KDE3.5 in Hardy. Now I'm using KDE4.2 in Jaunty which seems to have moved
> backwards by having much poorer toolset.
>
> I assume the file you are talking about is 'smb.conf'? It would be useful
> to know what to look for in the file so would be grateful if you could send
> a copy of your file.
>
> Cheers, Kevin Giles

After a distro upgrade sometime ago I had a newer version of Samba than I
previously had but I tried to use my old samba.conf, it was a total nightmare.
In the end I wrote a new one based on the default samba.conf that came with the
newer version of samba and once written  it worked first time. While I could
not see any difference there was obviously some difference as it worked.

I also use SWAT to help configure Samaba (just google samba swat), its a lot
easier

Tim

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2009-11-03 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/