On Saturday 07 Nov 2009, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> John Cooper wrote:
> > I think the Bournemouth Wetherspoon's pub (Moon in the Square) might
> > be a better venue as you can park after 7pm for free outside the
> > townhall.
>
> We used to meet there IIRC.  I guess we moved to be nearer Bournemouth
> Uni when we had unofficial access.

That was a *very* long time ago; almost before my time even :-)

> I've no objection to the Bournemouth pub changing;  I don't go to many
> of those meets.  :-)  I don't suppose concensus will be achieve, people
> will just silently not object, so can someone guillotine the discussion,
> say in a week's time, and make a decision.  Ideally, whatever will get
> the most attendees.  (I expect Terry will have an opinion when he's not
> busy with work.)

I back from Europe (to Europe) now; somewhat allergic to planes.  And yes; I
do have an opinion, with a bit of history.

One of the reasons that we changed (it was just about the time I joined) was
the problem of parking in Bournemouth Town Centre.  Partly it was cost (I
object to paying when I don't have to and so did others at the time) and the
other was (and still is for me) the increased risk of parking cars in the town
centre at night (vandalism etc).

We tried all sorts of venues over a period of around a year and eventually
ended  up at Wallisdown because of the free parking and the proximity to to
the UNI, where some our members attended at the time (and we hoped to get
more).

Things have changed since then, not least because of the advent of wireless in
pubs.  The Dorchester venue is excellent because (not necessarily in this
order):

*  The beer is cheap.
*  Although there is no car park, there is quite a bit of on-street parking
nearby (although I gather this isn't free any more).
*  They occasionally have beer festivals.
*  It's very easy to get to.
*  The beer is cheap.
*  Dorchester tends to be less 'rowdy' than Bournemouth (or Poole).
*  It has wireless, although it doesn't always work if we sit in the wrong
place.
*  Did I mention that the beer is cheap?

The Moon in the Square has many of those qualities apart from it's location.
That isn't necessarily a show stopper, but I bet it's pretty noisy and it may
be hard to gather a large group all in one place, like we do at Dorchester and
Wallisdown.  Can someone comment on this; I've never been there.

There was talk of other Wetherspoons pubs some time ago and someone was going
to check them out.  What happened to that?

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/