John Cooper wrote:
> On 08/11/09 21:42, Mark Elkins wrote:
>> I would have thought that if the location of the Bournemouth meeting was too
>> move then it should be to somewhere with wireless. Although that said the
>> presence of wireless may interfere too much with face to face discussion,
>> which is the purpose of physical meetings I would have thought.
>>
>> For the record parking for the Goat is not a problem (for those of us in the
>> know over free parking places in that area after 1900 hours). However I
>> don't see what advantage the location has over the present one unless one
>> happens to live in the centre of Bournemouth. Also the Goat may not be as
>> quiet and relaxed as the Kings Arms in terms of background noise etc.
>>
>> Maybe if the location is moved it should be near to Bournemouth Rail/Coach
>> Station - but then parking might prove to be problem unless you want to take
>> advantage of ASDA and 3 hours worth of free parking.
>>
>> Mark Elkins
>>

> I've never thought Wallisdown was a good venue as few attend the Uni and
> not a particular pleasant area. Bournemouth Asda location is even worse
> as nothing around there and no parking. Dorchester Wetherspoon is a good
> location for people in that area. In Poole/Bournemouth the pubs are
> pretty poor venues as either no wireless or too noisy. Plus the fact all
> the pubs have CCTV, so the paranoid amongst us will feel big brother (is
> that M$ ?) is watching them. So I doubt this issue will ever be resolved
> as in all the years no one has come up with anything better than the
> Kings Arms.

As a recent convert to Linux the only reason I've heard raised for
moving the Bournemouth venue would be to obtain a wireless connection.
Reason for that is so that anyone trying to show someone (like me!) how
to do something could  connect to the internet.  Kings Arms is usually
comparatively quiet and space is not normally a problem (as long as one
of us gets there on time) and parking is not a problem either.  I have
tried to attend both location whenever possible so feel I can compare
sites objectively (please no flame wars over this comment!!).
No pub is going to be ideal for demonstrating on a laptop but wireless
connection can be useful sometimes.

Clive

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/