Hi all,

Thanks for so many replies.

Sean

What's my budget?  £100 - £200

Robert

The bits I was looking at recycling where, cass, power supply if it is
enough DVD drives floppy drives, (Is it worth putting a floppy in these
days?) WiFi cards etc. No probs pulling a pc apart, getting it
back together may be another thing. I have upgraded RAM and installed WiFi
and HD etc. I would love to build a system from scratch, but think we are
probably looking at about £300 to do a good job of that aren't we?

New: mainboard, RAM and processor is what I was thinking about. I probably
need a new HD too.

Simon

I buy lots of stuff form ebay, but find I get a little out of my depth with
PC compatibility. my have recently brought a ATX power supply only to find
that
some have 20 pin, plus four and others only have the 20 and yes I needed the
plus four and did not have it. You live and learn and I now have a 20 + 4
poersup;y only to find that the computer still only makes and clicky sound
and does not boot.

You loose me a bit on 20 dell optiplex 270 with a ?30 dvd burner.

Tim

Humm, looks interesting. I have no idea why it has two processors. I guess
it is like a duel core processor, but in two separate chips. I assume that
you do not need to know anything about what goes on inside the board,
just connect it up to the necessary peripherals, power etc.

I have the rest of a machine here with what I believe is a dead mainboard so
how can I say no.

Can I paypal you postage? I assume you are not real near Bridport.

Ted.

I will contact you directly.

Peter

Thanks, but I also have DVD/CD/flopy drives and ethernet cards galore, and
probably a 10G HD too.

Do you know my first computer was a twin 5 1/4 floppy machine and
we sneer at 4 and 10 G today!

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I have marriage to keep!!!

Sean

Try hot water, soap and a blunt knife on those sealed lips! :-)
--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/