Is this not getting a bit over complicated ?

I just made a bootable USB thumb drive (or flash drive or whatever they
are called now) and plugged it in.

Press ESC during BIOS stage and then select device to boot from.

I have a bootable drive with Ubuntu loaded and can give it to you.
Do you want 9.10 or 9.04 ?

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2010-01-05 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/