On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:11:23 -0000, Keith Edmunds <k...@midnighthax.com>
wrote:

> Interesting. Care to summarise how the two methods differ?

An example from our coursework - people gained marks for putting a not
putting firewall between an internet connect and a web-server. Those who
put a firewall between did not receive the marks.

Of the people I know who did use a firewall they worked the system
internet connection -> firewall -> web server. With access to non-web
ports (for remote access - I used 22 for ssh some people used more
Microsoft focussed ports - honestly remote desktop on a web server?) only
allowed from a restricted list of ip addresses or something.

With this mark being 'lost' it was defended for a) security and b)
resiliancy. If there is a firewall between the server and the internet
then some protection from DDoS and other attacks can be put in place. The
lecturer just stood and said, web servers should be open to the web so you
don't need a firewall.

Like I say, even justified and (personally) correct answer just don't fit
into his 10 year old text-books so they are wrong.

--
Using Opera M2: http://www.opera.com/mail/

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2010-01-12 20:00 *New date*
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/