Dear list-

Since I can't get any ADSL in my new house, I need to try and share my
parents' ADSL.  They live about 800m away, within line of sight.
Ideally I want to do this with a point-to-point wireless bridge.

I believe that a couple of Linksys WRT54G units with OpenWRT are the
best bet for the hardware, and then a couple of suitable antennas.  I
already have a 3com rod type antenna (somewhere around 75cm long I'd
guess, from memory) which might do for one end.

For the other end, I saw that commercial yagi type or directional patch
antennas are available at reasonable prices [1].  I did keep an old Sky
dish in case that was useful - and I found an article about it here
http://www.trevormarshall.com/biquad.htm but it looks quite involved.
There are also the cantennas and WokFi methods.

I'm not especially clever on RF stuff and I know a few people on the
list are.  Can anyone advise?  Has anyone set something similar up?

Best regards,

     John

[1] For example,
http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=20

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wed 2010-02-03 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413