On 11/02/10 22:17, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>

>> I'd be interested to hear of any list members' version control
>> software experiences.
[snip]
> I'm very happy with Bazaar.  The command line interface is nice and
> clean;  well-thought out.  It's flexible as a DVCS in working in
> different ways.  The source is Python, which has a reputation for being
> easy to read, so dipping in isn't hard.  Decent documentation.
> Canonical have invested a lot in it;  it's heavily used in Launchpad and
> during Ubuntu preparation, so it's not going to fade rapidly in the
> future.  And the user community is friendly.  There's steady development
> and performance is good for my uses and improving;  Canonical's own
> needs ensure that.

[snip]

+1 for Bazaar, although I've not used much else to compare it to.  I
used Perforce for a long time at work, then moved to bazaar when I
changed jobs.

I like the community and the well designed UI.  Drawbacks for me are few
- no concept of sub-projects (e.g libraries) that can be linked to a
main project, and no Visual Studio plugin (yes, yuck, I know).

For a few thoughts on why to use it, try
http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/BzrWhy

For a thought on why not, try http://whybzrisbetterthanx.github.com/

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tue 2010-03-02 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413