Tim,
I run Ubuntu, but when I changed from OSE to non-free there were no
issues as my two VM's were stored in two great files.
If you're worried, you can back these up first, using the command line
copy commands eg:

:~$ VBoxManage clonevdi
~/.VirtualBox/HardDisks/Vista1.vdi /media/Elements/Virtual_machines/Vista1.vdi

Here Vista1.vdi is the name of a Vista VM I have. The first entry is the
default location(hidden?) to copy from.
The second time I invoked 'Vista1.vdi' was to name the
destination.'Elements' is the name of my flash drive, and I put the
files in a new directory I called Virtual_Machines.

These files are big. Could take over an hour to back up, but if you
reload the file, (assuming the upgrade goes WRONG and you need to) then
they will work straight away.
Simono

--
Next meeting: C4L and Bournemouth, Wednesday 2010-06-02 19:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413