Hi jr

V0.44 on Debian Lenny, home page at http://pam-mount.sourceforge.net/

> and why do you need to use pam_mount to mount CIFS shares?

Well at present I'm using a script which calls mount.cifs. This is on a
server which serves out shares to a few Windows machines via Samba, and
also is itself a multiuser Linux box (through XDMCP), where those same
shares are served out to users home directories (this works really well,
as accesses to the underlying files are all through a common Samba
interface). The only irritation is that when the server is rebooted,
Linux users must run the share mounting script. This is pretty rare
(only when there's a kernel update every few months). The shares do
remain mounted between logins, so the pain isn't great. But pam_mount
deals with this by providing authentication to samba and proceeding to
mount the shares at login).

I can see, at one level, why pam_mount requires SSH password
authentication, because it requires the password to authenticate to the
Samba shares, but I would have thought it would be possible to get over
this in some way (maybe Kerberos has a role to play).

Cheers

Tim

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-07-06 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413