When I boot up my laptop the boot process stops with the following error

fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super block while trying to open /dev/sda1

The superblock could not be read or deos not describe a correct ext2
filesystem.
If the device is valid and it really contains ext2 filesystem (and not swap or
ufs or something else) then the superblock is corrupt and you might try running
e2fsck with alternate superblock

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda

fsck died with exit status 8

File system check failed

A log is being saved in var/log/fsck/checkfs if the location is writable
Please repair the file system manually

I then get the option to run the maintenance console by inputting the root
password or pressing ctrl D and letting the laptop boot as normal.

I have tried running the e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda command once the laptop has
booted up but it fails as the drive is mounted (which is right). I have run it
from a Live CD with the drive unmounted and I have run it from the maintenance
console but every time it complains "Device or resource busy while trying to
open /dev/sda Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program". In
each case I manually went through and manually unmounted each partition
(sda1 /home, sda2 /, sda3 swap).

If I press the ctrl D the laptop bootups and there does not seem to be any
problems.

Can anybody assist??

Tim

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2010-08-04 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413