Hi Clive,

> Yes.  Locks up after showing the fault warning, no button pressing is
> acted on even Cntr/Alt/del.  Screen is black, like a terminal window,
> fault shown at top line.

I'm not sure if Ctrl-Alt-Delete should do anything if you're on a
virtual terminal.  What about Alt-1, Alt-2, etc?  They switch between
the different VTs, e.g. you may be left on VT3, Alt-1 will switch to VT1
and Alt-3 will return you to seeing that error message.

> > > If I shut down
> >
> > How do you commence that?  Just trying to get a picture of what's
> > available.
>
> Nothing works except by pressing the power button. (configured to shut
> down). Appears to close correctly, no indication of anything untoward
> happening.

#dorset think userspace is involved in handling that, suggesting it may
only be starting X and/or gdm that's the problem and the rest of the
machine is running fine.

> > Have a look in /var/log/gdm.  An `ls -ltr' command will list the
> > most recently modified ones at the end.  The last one will probably
> > be :0.log, meaning the log file for the X server's :0 display.
> > Perhaps there's something of interest.
>
> Just looked - var/log/gdm is empty and is locked(?)

Ah, sorry.  On 8.04 it's

    $ ls -ld /var/log/gdm
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-08-19 22:06 /var/log/gdm

so you'd be able to look in it as a normal user.  I see on 10.04 it's
now

    $ ls -ld /var/log/gdm
    drwxrwx--T 2 root gdm 4096 2010-08-14 09:08 /var/log/gdm

I don't know how to recommend a GUI user looks at its contents.  Anyone
else?  `sudo gnome-open /var/log/gdm'?

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-09-07 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413