hi Clive,

> With:-
>   sudo gedit /var/log/gdm/:0.log  (thanks Dan)
>
> Got into :0.log but did not understand what was listed, large file, is there
> any way to save file and post to you without copy to list?  Assume I can
> give different name with 'save as' from getdit and save to my documents
> area; without causing problems?
> Also don't know if what I'm seeing is latest start up info as it started OK
> for last 2x.

on my system (slackware) the X server's log file is *overwritten*
every time X starts up.

to save the file you could simply copy it to your home directory, eg:
  sudo cp /var/log/gdm/:0.log ~/old.0.log

--
regards, jr.

time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-09-07 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413