Hi Natalie,

> With the above in mind, which distro would you advise me to install on
> my new desktop? I was thinking of perhaps openSuse or Fedora but not
> too sure if there is one distro considered better for programmers?

Stick with Ubuntu.  You get six monthly updates.  There's a wide range
of packages.  Many others use it so the number of people irked in the
same way as you will be higher meaning there's more chance one of them
has documented a solution.  It's perfectly fine for programming.
Depending on your needs you may have to build some cutting edge stuff
from source for programming no matter what distro you use.

If you really wanted something different then I'd go wildly different,
e.g. Gentoo.  But that's if I wanted to spend lots of my "free" time
tinkering, tailoring, and generally keeping the system running.  It
sounds like you're busy enough already and just want something reliable
that starts on cue.  You can always tinker with other distros using
VirtualBox, as others have said.  Then you can choose to play with Plan
9, etc.

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth? TBD, Wednesday 2010-10-06 20:00