On 13/11/10 14:10, Peter Merchant wrote:
After reading this article in the telegraph today
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/8126181/UK-will-run-out-of-web-addresses-by-2012.html

About Vint Cerf saying that the Uk will run out of IP (V4) addresses by
2012, I wondered  if my Router would support IPV6 on the Internet Side.
Will yours?

I use a 3Com Wireless router.

I have a D-Link DIR-825 running OpenWRT which does IPv6. All devices which you can run OpenWRT on should have IPv6. But I'm not using it as a router and my ISP doesn't do IPv6 yet. This isn't an ADSL router though, I'd need another device to actually use it as an internet router. My ADSL router is a Netgear DG834Gv3 which, good as it is, doesn't support IPv6 and OpenWRT hasn't been ported to it.

I used a 2wire router a few years ago which was on some BT internet connection (they have so many names for their internet services it's hard to keep track!) and not only did the router support IPv6 but my laptop got an IPv6 address, which worked! I'm not sure if that was a testing phase at BT or what though.

The other day I installed Windows 7 in a kvm virtual machine, using kvm's default networking setup, and somehow Windows managed to get a real routable IPv6 address! I'm not sure how it did that as there's no IPv6 on my network at all. Or was it kvm? I'd love to know how that happened. I then re-booted the VM and since that Windows networking hasn't worked. At all.

--

Andrew.

--
Next meeting:  Somewhere quiet, Bournemouth, ???day 2010-12-?? 20:00