On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 19:08 +0000, Robert Bronsdon wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:49:27 -0000, Peter & Jill Harris
> <peter_harri...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > The command I put in was  rm -rf  ~/ .shotwell/Examples
>
> I'm really hoping that is a joke or a typo
>
> what you have done there is
> rm -rf ~/
> rm -rf .shotwell/Examples
>
> I think what you wanted to do was rm -rf ~/.shotwell/Examples
>
> If you did the former - then I hope your backup of ~ is recent ;)

Thanks for responses.  I'm sure it was rm -rf ~/ .shotwell/Examples.  I
restored /etc, /home and /usr/local in that order using Simple Backup,
the backups were on a separate hard disk.  Thanks for offer to assist if
I lived in the Poole area John but I live in Swanage.  If all else fails
I have copies of most of my folders on a separate hard disc but they are
not up to date and I would lose all the cataloguing from about 500
photos.

Cheers,
Peter Harris

--
Next meeting:  Somewhere quiet, Bournemouth, ???day 2010-12-?? 20:00