On Tuesday 04 January 2011, d-...@hadrian-way.co.uk wrote:
> On 04 January 2011 at 13:34 Ralph Corderoy <ra...@inputplus.co.uk> wrote:
> > Does
> >
> >     ls -l /dev/disk/*
> >
> > show anything interesting if the CD is in the drive?  Perhaps the CD can
> > have a label or UUID.  You should at least see the CD drive in by-id
> > although that won't be useful as part numbers change.
>
> That comes back with 'No such file or directory'.  However:
>
>    ls -l /dev/cdrom*
>
> on this machine comes back with:
>
>   lrwxrwxrwx   1  root  root     8 Jan  4 12:33  /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
>
> Which at least tells me the device that is available here, but there is no
> difference when I put a disc in the hole.   I also tried the technique on a
> machine with two DVD drives, but this was quite confusing because it
> indicated that the cdrom was hdd, but the TC Mount Tool thought that the
> CD was in hdc!
> The TC Mount Tool may well give sufficient clues though because it seems to
> be able to work out what drives the machine has and also the volume names
> of each disc in each drive.  Maybe the source code for this will let us
> into the secret.
>
> Terry Coles
> --
> Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2011-01-11 20:00
Pardon if this is irrelevant (because the cd isnt actually mounted!) but if
its mounted, surely "mount |grep iso" should give you a line to parse
providing the cd device (unless you have more than 1 cd drive - I have:) - &
they are both mounted - unlikely)
Regards
Andy

--
Andy Paterson

--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2011-01-11 20:00