Well, this one is one of the great religious debates and I dare say it
could go on forever. Just seems to me alot of people see closing F/OSS
code as "stealing", something I strongly disagree with.

Well if it is GPL'd, it is effectively stealing and illegal. I don't see a problem with this, if anyone does, use BSD license. It all depends on what you want to do with the code. If you want people to actively contribute their changes for the good of the software, GPL is there to protect it and ensure those changes are available to everyone (if requested, you must provide the source code). If you don't give a monkeys whether the likes of M$ can take it and use it to lock people in to their software, well license it like Apache and it is then lost in IIS!

It is your code, license it as you see fit.

John.