On Tuesday 08 February 2011 12:40:04 John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
> On 08/02/11 12:23, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> >> Thanks Victor, one stage closer but not quite there, I can now
> >> transfer a file by ftp to /var/www/myfolder but the permisson on that
> >> folder is -rw------- (600) rather than -rw-r--r-- (644) While I can
> >> change the permission via the  ftp client is there a way to change the
> >> permission when the file lands in the folder automaticly??
> >
> > See the local_umask configuration setting in vsftpd.conf(5);  default is
> > 077.  Or better still use your FTP client to change the current umask on
> > the remote server after logging in.  That way it doesn't affect all
> > local users.  How to do that depends on your FTP client, but all good
> > ones should allow it.  If this is a regular upload you're doing, you
> > could script it as part of that.
>
> You may also need to set g+x on the /var/www/myfolder and any sub
> folders to allow group members to cd into and list directories.
>
> One easy way to do this might be to do "chmod -R g=u /var/www/myfolder"
> This will set the group perms to be the same as the user perms on all
> files and directories.
>
> You might also want to do "chmod g+s /var/www/myfolder".  (You'd also
> want to do this on any already existing subdirectories, e.g. find
> /var/www/myfolder -type d -exec chmod g+s '{}' \;
>
> Setting the suid bit like this on directories will make files and
> directories created under that folder inherit the group ownership of the
> parent.  This can be useful is you users belong to primary groups other
> than "www" and the FTP server doesn't allow you to specify the group
> used for file creation explicitly.
>
> This will need to be done in conjunction with umask setup Ralph mentioned.
>

> --
> Next meeting:  Blandford Forum, Wednesday 2011-03-02 20:00

Thanks all for your help, I used Ralph suggestion. There will only be two
people
maximum ftp-ing files over and that will be from a single account, this is only
a small scale thing.  This is a new thing and will certainly be learning as the
we go.

Thanks again

Tim

--
Next meeting:  Blandford Forum, Wednesday 2011-03-02 20:00