On Wednesday 23 February 2011 23:22:14 Andrew Reid Paterson wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:11:59 pm jr wrote:
> > On 23 February 2011 23:03, Tim <xendis...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > > Any thoughts?
> >
> > I'd look into setting up a DMZ box (if you've a spare machine),
> > separating the internal network from the Virgin/BT/whatever supplied
> > h/ware.  extreme, admittedly, but what price peace of mind?
>
> Hi Tim,
> I have precisely this kind of setup simply by having two network interfaces
> on my main system which runs iptables and is connected vis the internal lan
> cable and hub to a wireless repeater on which connect to my wifi gadgets
> like ps3, nokia phone & bravia tv.
> What I really like is the level of control I have from configuring iptables
> right down to monitoring with wireshark and dhcp contro of clients.
> Perish the thought of a cable wifi router.
> incidentally, as Dan sys 8.8.8.8 is google dns.
> Whya are you not using Virgins own dns - which can be set via dhcp?
> Regards
> Andy
>
> --

Hi Andy, I have been with NTL\Virgin a very long time (since it arrived in the
bmth\Poole area, I was a tester) and in the early days NTL DNS were terrible,
so I have been using non NTL\Virgin DNS for as long as I have been using
NTL\Virgin cable.

I do have my own Firewall PC behind the router but I have been considering
removing it as it is very old PC and an old firewall software.

While I am aware that 8.8.8.8 is google, I have had exactly the same problem
when I was using opendns IP  (208.67.222.222)

Tim

--
Next meeting:  Blandford Forum, Wednesday 2011-03-02 20:00