On Thursday 24 February 2011 08:23:59 Peter Merchant wrote:
> Tim Wrote:
> > I do have my own Firewall PC behind the router but I have been
> > considering removing it as it is very old PC and an old firewall
> > software.
>
> Someone on here was offering a PC in the Wimborne area if I remember
> right. we can help get that to you.
>
> I found IpCop to be good firewall software.
>
> Peter

It is OK, I don't need another PC to run any new Firewall software as I have a
spare PC which could do the work. It just I am not sure if PC running firewall
software will be any better than the existing Virgin\netgear cable router. With
the virgin router I can't set the dns as they are inherited from Virgin but I
have the option of port forwarding dmz etc.

Just as a pointer, the old firewall is a P2\200mhz 64mb Viglen PC running IPCop
1.2, yes it is that old. I picked it up third hand and it has run pretty much
24\7 for the 8 years

Tim

--
Next meeting:  Blandford Forum, Wednesday 2011-03-02 20:00