On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 14:20 +0000, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> I believe keyboards & mice are all USB 1.1. I have some USB 1.1 devices
> working on Ubuntu.
>
> If it is a 54mbit (or faster) USB device then I would expect it to be
> USB 2, otherwise it is limited to 11 Mb/s or thereabouts.
>
> 'lsusb -v' will show you a lot of information. The 'bcdUSB' lines show
> you the USB version in use by a particular device.

Interesting:

peterm@peterm-desktop:~$ lsusb -v

Bus 004 Device 003: ID 050d:705c Belkin Components F5D7050 Wireless G
Adapter v4000 [Zydas ZD1211B]
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00                ******  ????
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
  bDeviceProtocol       255 Vendor Specific Protocol
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x050d Belkin Components
  idProduct          0x705c F5D7050 Wireless G Adapter v4000 [Zydas
ZD1211B]
  bcdDevice           48.10
  iManufacturer          16
  iProduct               32
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
can't get device qualifier: Operation not permitted
can't get debug descriptor: Operation not permitted
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass            9 Hub
  bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
        bInterval             255
can't get hub descriptor: Operation not permitted
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass            9 Hub
        bInterval             255
can't get hub descriptor: Operation not permitted
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass            9 Hub
        bInterval             255
can't get hub descriptor: Operation not permitted
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)
peterm@peterm-desktop:~$

Interesting that the Belkin identifies itself as USB 2.0, but will only
work after the commands previously mentioned, and all the other ports
say that they are now(?) USB 1.10

More tests needed....
P.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-04-05 20:00