Greetings all. I am a prospective new member of the Dorset LUG. This is
to introduce myself.

My introduction to Unix was in the early 1980s, when I put together a
couple of device drivers for SCO. In those days I was working for a
computer manufacturer that had developed a sort-of clone of the IBM PC,
and got SCO running without difficulty. I still have a vivid memory of
talking to SCO tech support from a 'phone box somewhere on the
Southampton University campus, chiding them about their handling of
interrupts.

Cut 30 years, during which I used Concurrent CP/M, MSDOS and OS/2, and
finally (as of about 1999) Windows. My wife was having serious trouble
with her Windows box, which was getting slower and slower. So I put a
new box together for her and (since it had a 64-bit CPU) in my naivety I
bought a copy of XP-64 and tried to install it. Everything worked except
the network adapter. Annoyed, I thought I would try Gnu/Linux; so I
installed Ubuntu (8.04). Everything worked - like a charm. So much so,
that I decided to go that way myself.

Today, I still run a Windows (XP) box for a few legacy applications; but
my principal work machine and my laptop now run GNU/Linux - currently
Ubuntu 10.10.

I have solved a number of friends' or family members' problems by
installing Linux (seven to date) on their aging hardware - and have so
far chalked up seven delighted converts to the cause!

As regards my working life, after a decade in biometric software I'm
currently working on a new system to combat identity fraud. It's a
web-based social network solution. (Ask me about it, and/or visit
http://idangels.net .) So I'm managing a couple of web servers running
apache 2.2, mysql and postfix under Ubuntu. I also manage a test server
running CentOS.

Regards to all,

CPKS

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-04-05 20:00