Hi Tim,

> > Pick one of the `inet' listed in `ip address show', e.g. 127.0.0.1,
> > and try
> >
> >      printf 'GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n' | nc 127.0.0.1 80
>
> I am lost with this bit, simply copying the above command returns
> nothing, it just sits there until I press ctrl-c. I tried changing the
> ip to 127 0.1.1. which is what is in my /etc/host file for the PC name
> (see my previous reply 15/10/12 7:31am)

And what happened when you changed it to 127.0.1.1?

> As to other IP I not sure which ones I should try or how to find it, I
> don't really understand "`inet' listed in `ip address show', e.g.
> 127.0.0.1 " part of your reply (I am not a cli type of guy).

Running `ip address show' gives output that includes lines starting with
the word `inet' followed by the IPv4 address, e.g.

    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo

> All I am asking apache to do is to be able to show a web page on my
> network at home, I am not interested in doing anything fancy as such

Arguably, running PHP or any code to generate the web page is "fancy".
:-)

> as the idea is to only view a page to ensure it looks correct and give
> other on my network the same option (which they can do, it just does
> not work on my pc).

Have you any "firewall" type stuff installed on this machine, something
that may have been configured to allow TCP port 80 access from the LAN?

> All I have done is install apache, I have made no changes to an config
> files. I have done this in the past on serveral different PC's and it
> has worked out of the box so to speak.

You said you'd done more:  "I simply accessed then via
http://127.0.0.1/mywebpage.  Yesterday I installed phpmyadmin (intending
to play with mysql) and when I tried to access it I was unable to.
Further test showed that I can't even access the Apache default index
page."  Was it known to be working right before phpmyadmin was
installed?

Cheers, Ralph.