Tim, I want to use my Pi for many other projects, some on the 'bare metal' so I won't make it the DNS. I've also had a suggestion from a friend here in very rural Dorset. Configure my router to allocate static IP addresses. This seems to be possible with the Huawei but the GUI is tortuous and there is no manual.

Whoa!!! You don't configure static IP addresses at the router. They are done on the individual hosts/devices.

My router is 192.168.1.1,

I have DHCP set up for 192.168.1.2 --> 192.168.1.8 and my Raspberry Pi set up to a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.11. This computer used to be DHCP but is now fixed at 192.168.1.12 as it is the connection for a shared printer on my network.

I ended up fixing the IP address of the RPi because I hated having to find it out every time I wanted to ssh into it.

FWIW my netmask is 255.255.255.240 This limits the range of static IP addresses that you can use.

Peter