Hi Peter,

> > I've also had a suggestion from a friend here in very rural Dorset.
> > Configure my router to allocate static IP addresses.
>
> Whoa!!! You don't configure static IP addresses at the router.  They
> are done on the individual hosts/devices.

Perhaps what John's friend was suggesting it to configure the DHCP
server on the router to always give a particular IP address out to a
particular MAC address when it comes calling.  That way, all the other
devices continue with their default of using DHCP to obtain an IP
address but they happen to be given the same one each time.  Well, until
you upgrade the motherboard and the MAC address changes.

Cheers, Ralph.