Hi Adrian

On 01/10/13 09:19, Adrian Howard wrote:
On 1 October 2013 08:41, Tim Allen<t...@ls83.eclipse.co.uk>  wrote:
In a similar vein, I was going to suggest Subversion. I assume that git, by
its very nature of being a distributed VCS, cannot enforce strict locking
which is essential for binary files. I have a similar situation, using
Mercurial for source control, but Subversion for binary format documents,
CAD data etc. In terms of searching, it would need a bit of scripting around
svn log | grep.

With an appropriate distro structure you can get something similar to
subversion's advisory locks via access rules and hooks. See
http://gitolite.com/gitolite/locking.html for example. Google will
find others ;-)

Interesting, but it falls short in that a user has to remember to apply the lock and could be merrily committing to their local repository while someone else has the lock, hence wasting work. I think that's inherent in the distributed model. This doesn't happen with svn (or similar strict locking models) since the working directory files are set read-only on checkout. I did a trawl of the various FOSS VCS offerings two or three years back and at the time svn appeared to be the only current VCS that offers strict locking. Not sure if any others now offer this.

Cheers

Tim