> On 30 September 2013 at 22:21 Adrian Warman <warm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Without knowing a bit more about the number of users, numbers of files,
> platforms, etc., it's hard to make specific suggestions. However...
>
> Might you consider a combination of git plus one of the many git GUI
> interfaces for the basic storage versioning and control? Out of the box,
> git supports some astonishing powerful content search (cf
> http://www.jayway.com/2012/01/25/finding-with-git/ )
>
> For more advanced searching, you might well be better off doing a regular
> snapshot of the current files (easy using git) and searching those, using a
> tool such as recoll ( http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/index.html )

I've never used GIT, so I can only surmise that the problem with it and any
other source control system like subversion, etc is that it's aimed at mainly
controlling ASCII files, whereas office documents tend to be in a variety of
formats, including a mixture of  binary and markup.  Additionally, only a small
proportion of the users will be programmers; the rest ranging from mechanical
designers through to technical clerks, so any solution should require no special
knowledge to use it.  The solutions that we have found allow documents (some at
least) to be viewed from within the tool, downloaded and / or modified with
automatic tracking of Issue States,etc.  I know that Source Control tools do all
of these things, but we've tried them before and they tend to be a bit opaque to
non- programmers.

>From various suggestions from a number of sources, we are homing in on three
packages:

1.  Feng Office - http://www.fengoffice.com/web/
2.  Alfresco - http://www.alfresco.com/
3.  Opendocman -<http://www.opendocman.com/>

Does anyone know anything bad about any of those?