On 11/10/2013 15:21, David Smith wrote:

> what if I had created a virus. What does that say about UEFI and
> 'trusted' computing? No answer to that - what a surprise!

Hi David,

The UEFI does not stop you running executable code on the windows
operating system, you need something like lumension/sanctury for that
sort of control.

Where it does sit is between the BIOS and bootloader so that only
"signed" operating systems with matching keys in the UEFI will boot on
the machine.  This stops, for example, students in the school, booting
school PCs with memory stick operating systems.

On my personal laptop I have switched off UEFI (most devices allow this)
and boot into Linux and then use Windows8 as a KVM guest.

Recent Linux distros (Ubuntu 64bit for example) actually detect UEFI on
installation.

Cheers

Simon