Hi Peter,

> At how old should I be 'refreshing' or duplicating my DVD backups?

Format shift quite often, I would think.  That said, I've some 5ΒΌ"
floppies to access one day.  Rob Pike recently wrote about the topic and
the value of real photos tucked away in a shoebox for your descendants.
http://commandcenter.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/prints.html

If archiving data, you could consider generating error correction codes
yourself, quite separate from whatever the media might be using under
the covers.  par2(1) was one program to do that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive

Then again, Olly did PaperBack, a program for printing data onto paper
for later retrieval by scanning, again using ECC for coping with the odd
coffee stain.  I fear data density may not have kept pace with data
growth, though with another data deduplication...
http://ollydbg.de/Paperbak/

Cheers, Ralph.