Hi Peter

On 14/08/14 20:24, Peter Merchant wrote:
On 13/08/14 17:17, Tim wrote:
 > I had a Lacie single disk (500gb) nas but for the last few days I have
 > not been able to contact it. I have rebooted it several time via
 > turning it on and off but that made no difference, there is a blue
 > light that come on and occasionally flickers (which is normal). I have
 > tried to access via Linux and Windows, windows has Lacie disk manager
 > program but that claims there are no disks.
 >

  > Tim >

This raises the question:- that's two Lacie drives that have failed in
our LUG population, Are they any good, or is there a better unit?

One option is an HP Microserver. Up to now they'd done a £100 cashback
twice a year (next one due Sept-Oct), meaning they come in at around £100, although I see now priced at £114+VAT anyway, so the days of the cashback may be over. Then stick your favourite distro on it and install Samba to provide a CIFS server, along with whatever else (BIND9, DHCP3 etc) and any external USB disks you want.

Cheers

Tim