On 30/09/14 15:12, d-...@hadrian-way.co.uk wrote:
On 30 September 2014 at 14:33 Ralph Corderoy <ra...@inputplus.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Terry,

I believe that the management are not really sure what they want in
terms of functionality so are looking for suggestions. We have
discussed this locally
What's the nature of the information you want to share? Considered blog
posts? One-line Q&A? A curated resource of information?
That's part of the problem; they're not really sure.  I think it might function
as a newsletter in some scenarios, but with the ability to accept comments,
where appropriate.  In other scenarios, it might be used to seed ideas, with
inline drawings / photographs, etc to really get over the message.  The key I
think is engagement.  When Groklaw was at it height it was generating hundreds
of responses to each article, with ideas flying thick and fast.  I don't believe
a mailing list (as suggested elsewhere) will work like that for people who
aren't necessarily technical, whereas an active blog or Facebook type solution
might, because of the multimedia element.
As a bonus, it might also be useful to have the ability to collaborate on
documents etc.
I think we are looking for suggestions to see what might be the most attractive.
  Does anyone have any experience of Corporate Social Networks (linux based or
otherwise)?
Terry Coles
Hi Terry, I came across Zimbra as an email client at one time, but didn't like it, I can't remember why now.

I just wonder whether a forum type thing like ubuntuforums might be something that they like- divisible into topics etc. I had a look at a cycling forum - yacf.co.uk and it is managed/hosted by simplemachines.org - an open source solution.

Peter M.