Hi Patrick,

> > # Set GatewayAddress to the IP address of the router on
> > # the GatewayInterface.  This is the address that the Nodogsplash
> > # server listens on.
> > #
> > # GatewayAddress 192.168.1.1
> >
> > I assumed that this was referring to the IP address of the Internet
> > side of the Pi, but see now that they are probably referring to the
> > IP Address of the router.
>
> No. In your case, it refers to the "internal" IP address of the Pi in
> its role as a router. That is to say, the IP address of the LAN-side
> interface of the Pi.

Right.  Terry, I think you have

    Visitors — Pi — ISP-router — Internet

since you said the Pi has two Ethernet interfaces.  nodogsplash is
`listening' on the Pi's left side to decide what to do with incoming
packets from Visitors.  It is the `Gateway' from the Visitors'
perspective.

Its `GatewayInterface' parameter must be set by you and is an interface
name, e.g. one of those output by `ip a'.  The `GatewayAddress'
parameter you point out says `Default: Discovered from GatewayInterface'
so there should be no need to explicitly set it.

I think nodogsplash does all its work with iptables(8), and these can be
listed once nodog' has done its work if you want to understand what it's
done, and to do the same rules yourself so nodog' isn't required.

Cheers, Ralph.