On Wednesday, 15 August 2018 17:08:46 BST Terry Coles wrote:
> I've just tried to install WhatsApp on our friends ACer R11, but there isn't
> a ChromeOS App or Extension, although there are helper type tools.

My wife just spotted that this model of Chromebook has an option in the
Settings to turn on access to the Android Play Store.  We did this and were
then able to find WhatsApp in the store.

I still didn't install it as it's not my machine, but it looks like you don't
need to mess around with APK files, given a sufficiently recent version of
ChromeOS.

BTW.  Newer versions of ChromeOS will be allowed to install some Linux
packages:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/09/linux_chrome_os/