Hi

For his school computing course, my son has been told he needs to download Visual Studio 2017 onto a Windows PC, to write some simple programs in vb.net. We don't have any Windows machines, so for starters I installed Windows 10 and VS 2017 under Virtualbox. But it's painfully slow (primarily CPU-bound). Are there any options other than spending several hundred pounds on a new PC to run this bloatware for compiling programs (starting with Hello World)? I've so far read about Visual Studio Code and Mono, but unsure whether either of these will provide what we need.

Cheers

Tim