I used to run a Windows 10 VM on KVM/Qemu on a Linux desktop with a fairly
slow CPU (dual core i5, but an old one) and it was actually very fast and
usable, although I never really fired up anything like Visual Studio since
that's a huge beast anyway. As always fast disk and plenty of RAM helps a
lot.

To the OP - do you know what they are going to be asked to do with VB? Is
it desktop (Winforms) stuff, or web stuff, or basic algorithms that could
be pure CLI? It does make a difference since AFAIK Dotnet Core supports
VB.NET language and is cross-platform, but I don't think it supports VB.NET
for quite a lot of things like MVC. Webforms and Winforms are not supported
in Dotnet Core at all. I don't think Mono supports WInforms either for any
language, which is why mono applications always used to use GTK+.

It may be worth trying to ask what alternatives there are. If .NET is a
requirement, C# is going to be a lot easier to support cross-platform .
VB.NET is pretty dead anyway, so it's a real dead-end.

From a cross-platform point of view, Mono is being retired in favour of
Dotnet Core but it will take a while.

As an alternative, what about https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/pricing/
if you really can't avoid Windows?