On 14/09/18 18:28, Paul Tansom wrote:

I would think it's down to the teacher. Can't imagine school govenors having
the remotest idea about appropriate programming languages.
** end quote [t...@ls83.eclipse.co.uk]

In general possibly not, but I know of two schools where this wouldn't
be the case - and not just because I'm a governor at both of them :-)
That said, the school governors, knowledgable or not, would have no say
at this level of the school. We have quite a high level overview of
things, although we do get in to watch classes. Personally I get quite
involved as I run a code club at the primary school, and have worked
with another governor at open evenings at the secondary (with Raspberry
Pis and an Oculus Rift) - I've not yet got involved with the after
school club at the secondary... yet!

I was a governor at a local secondary school for four years, and tried to get involved but was never taken up, so I gave up. I did enjoy the experience for awhile, but when I got the feeling that meetings were rubber-stamp sessions I thought that aspect was a waste of time (usually on First Tuesdays too) and gave up. I have been mentoring students for the last year, but have not received any acknowledgment for my time doing that so I'll have to consider whether to continue. I don't know whether I was a help to  the students or not.  [Moan over].

Peter

--
Next meeting at *new* venue:  Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2018-10-02 20:00
Check if you're replying to the list or the author