Hi Terry,

> I managed to identify the type of the original adaptors by monitoring
> the kernel messages as they were plugged in.  (I didn't think I could
> do it, because I don't have a USB Hub (other than the one on the
> adaptor) and I don't have a USB Type B to Micro USB Adaptor (as
> opposed to the other way round), so I couldn't plug in my keyboard at
> the same time as the device under test without potentially
> compromising the test.

You need a USB to UART convertor for you laptop to the Pi's serial port.
I think this has been suggested before?  :-)  https://ebay.to/2xxRNKi is
the kind of thing, but be careful to connect it up correctly.

> Anyway I worked out how to do it with my Pi Zero and it turns out to
> be a Davicom DM9601.

It gets a mention.
https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Ethernet_adapters#Problem_Ethernet_adapters
Some good ones are also listed on that page.

> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2130030 says that it is slow
> because it is only USB 1.1, but I can't quite see why it would work
> when the adaptor is used at one host and not when it us used at both.

You can check the USB version used for a device by looking at the
`bsdUSB' field in the output of `lsusb -v'.

Perhaps the non-Davicom device is robust enough to cope with, and
workaround, the problems of the Davicom?  Can you come up with something
that makes it fail quickly and consistently, and then do multiple tests,
tracking which adapter is in use at which Pi, and see if there's a
pattern, as well as what arrangements you haven't yet tried.

Cheers, Ralph.

--
Next meeting at *new* venue:  Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2018-10-02 20:00
Check if you're replying to the list or the author