On 02/12/2018 15:57, Tim wrote:
On 02/12/2018 12:53, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi Tim,

Keith asked:
I noticed a script I added several month ago (and completely
forgotten it) which cleared the swap and memory cache over night
Glad you found the problem, but what were (are) you trying to achieve
with that script?
Yeah, if you have processes running that use more memory than RAM, so
swap has been used, and you disable all swap then the kernel's
out-of-memory killer will pick processes to kill to free memory.
Doesn't sound ideal.

Cheers, Ralph.

--
   Next meeting at *new* venue:  Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2018-12-04 20:00
   Check if you're replying to the list or the author

It was an issue (again) with swap and memory usage, so I have a little script that clears memory cache, cleared the swap file so I started the day with fresh settings so to speak. Otherwise if I did not clear them I was logging myself out and back in again every other days a the browser usage would just become to much and one of the browsers would freeze. I could accomplish the same by closing and restarting the browsers (I did for a while) but this was a bit better and had been working fine until I moved the swap file.

Thanks again for your input

Tim

Morning all

I can confirm that the PC was operating as normal this morning, swap file was there and working as it should.

Tim