Hi Terry,

> After logging these badblocks reported nothing until I gae up about 6
> hours later.

`lsusb -t' shows the maximum speed the USB device may operate at.  You
might improve things if you move it to a USB 3.0 port and it can cope.

> > But this is a ‘new’ drive being added to the existing one to make an
> > array so it will be the destination of the mirroring and have lots
> > written to it?  It's only the reading of it, e.g. a regular ‘scrub’
> > that will show problems.
>
> The 'old' drive will have nothing on it, so we could put this one in
> first and then add the other.

But this one has bad blocks that can't be read.  If the NAS does just
mirror all sectors from this to the second drive then it will have read
errors.  Is there any data on this disk that you hope to save?  If not,
write to all its sectors so the drive's firmware can abandon attempts to
read the dodgy sectors and start from scratch by then partitioning it
and making filesystems.

--
Cheers, Ralph.

--
  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-07-02 20:00