I have been running badblock's read-only test on the other bad drive
(currently in the NAS) today. There have been a total of 292 bad sectors
thus far - I don't trust this drive not to randomly fail/degrade rapidly.

If gsmartctl is right, the drive has been powered on for a total of
around 7 years! Does this sound reasonable, Terry?

Either way, we could try rescuing these drives with the destructive (or
non-destructive) read-write options for badblocks, but I think it
probably makes more sense to get a new 1 TB drive. I doubt they're too
expensive, seeing as 1TB isn't huge these days.

This is especially a good idea, because any custom programs/software we
build/compile for this may have to be on the HDDs - the NAND storage is
tiny and writing to it probably means re-flashing it. There is a
serial/debug port on the PCB to which we can solder pins to unbrick it
if we have to, but this may be an avenue best avoided. Also, the NAND is
only 128MB - probably not enough to add anything useful.

As for how well it handles damaged drives, the RAID re-sync failed
(without any error!) after I removed and reinserted the bad drive. The
current state of the array is "degraded" - we probably need a good
drive/to fix one of these before we use it.

Hamish

--
  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-07-02 20:00