On 22/12/2019 09:36, PeterMerchant via dorset wrote:
I have been given a dead Laptop and am trying to use the 1TB hard disk out of
it. It is W10 and I have reset W10 to get rid of all the previous owners stuff,
and then I used a windows utility to shrink the Windows space and create  some
free disk.

When I try to install dual boot Kubuntu At the point where I want to create
the linux partitions I can't because W10 has 4 primary partitions and that is
all that are allowed. So the extra space is inaccessible.

I am not sure what my next steps could be. Can I convert a W10 partition to be
an extended partition, or even be devilish and blow away the recovery partition?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Peter

Result: 1 hard disk, 2 duff operating systems on it, and a grub prompt. Time
for the Terry option.

After  creating an Ext4 partition in the free space, the install insisted on an
 Eft? partition so I had to revise things for that, and then it gave me
reminders that what I was going to do could be disastrous, but I went ahead
anyway.

Leave it stashed in the bottom of the PC until 2020 now.

Peter

--
 Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2020-01-07 20:00