Hi,

Fifth attempt to install VPN....

So after yesterday's debacle, I've just created a brand new, clean
installation of Raspberry Pi OS four more times.  Apart from changing the
password, hostname and enabling I2C and SSH in each case, I've done nothing
more than run through the tutorial at https://www.electromaker.io/tutorial/
blog/raspberry-pi-vpn-server as before.

Everything worked fine, but when I got to installing wireguard, I got exactly
the same result as yesterday, eg:

ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-5.6.0-2-rt-armmp.dpkg-bak' =>
'/boot/initrd.img-5.6.0-2-rt-armmp': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.6.0-2-rt-armmp
pi@WMT-Webserver:~ $ lsmod | grep wireguard
pi@WMT-Webserver:~ $

On the third and fourth attempts I tried to run the Tutorials at:

https://engineerworkshop.com/blog/how-to-set-up-wireguard-on-a-raspberry-pi/

That failed due to duff keys.

and

https://www.ovpn.com/en/guides/wireguard/raspberry-pi-raspbian

but they don't specify fetching keys at all.

(They also require a login to show the config side.)

I noticed that neither the engineerworkshop or the ovpn site specify fetching
the Linux Headers, but the electromaker blog does, so I left it out for the
most recent attempt.  No use either!  The shell complained about the lack of
headers, but seemed to do everything else (that it did) without complaint, but
no wireguard running.

So no good news at the moment I'm afraid.  I would imagine that all these
tutorials were done against earlier versions of Raspbian (and not necessarily
accurately anyway), so I'm going to break for lunch shortly and consider my
options.

I think that anyone wanting to install wireguard on a Pi at the moment is
probably better off waiting until it makes its way into the mainstream
repository.

Thanks for all help.