On Monday, 20 July 2020 09:28:12 BST Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> ping(8) sends an ICMP ECHO packet.  ssh(1) establishes a TCP connection.
> They're both network protocols, but different ones; see /etc/protocols
> for their numbers.
>
> Something was hindering the ECHO packet round trip.

I think we knew what that something was, but I didn't know exactly why,  The
device that wouldn't accept the ping is the Webserver running the nodogsplash
Captive Portal software, which installs a couple of screenfulls of iptables
rules.

The conclusion was that it was one or more of these rules that were preventing
the pings from responding.  As I said, I don't think that being unable to ping
that device is too much of a hardship if everything else works.