On Friday, 18 December 2020 12:41:27 GMT Terry Coles wrote:
>     amixer: Invalid command!
>
> After this failure alsamixer has no control over the volume level.  However,
> once the amixer command is working so is alsamixer.

I fixed this by re-installing everything from scratch instead of basing the
installation on a copy of the SD Card for the working music player.  There is
a warning in the instructions for the Adafruit Bonnet that it is necessary to
reboot twice to get alsamixer to work, but that had been done when the music
player was set up, so why I had to do it again, I don't know.